| Index|| ||next Page || ||Old St James School - EARLY DAYS||Page 1 |
|In 1859 a Sunday school for boys and girls was built in St.|
Jamesís parish in a lane, later Guildford Road, off East Hill. A
Church day school for infants was opened c.1836 in East Street.
Attendance there rose from 52 in 1839 to 95 in 1846, but the
school was short of money and, although it survived in 1852, it
seems to have closed soon after.
A new infant school, under the patronage of Margaret Round, was
opened c.1864 in a hired building in East Street. In the 1870s it
was usually attended by c.140 children, and from 1878 it received
annual government grants.
The building was condemned in 1891, and in 1894, when the
National branch school vacated its East Hill building, St. Jamesís
infants moved there. In 1899, to prevent the establishment of a
board school in the parish, the Rector, Fr C.C. Naters, started a
girls school and soon afterwards a boys school in the East Hill
building, and moved the infants to St. Anneís mission, Harwich
Road. In 1906 he closed St. Jamesís boys department, which was
threatened by the building of East Ward council school, and moved
the infants back to East Hill.
In 1930 St. Jamesís Church of England school was reorganized for
juniors and infants. In 1949 it was granted Aided status and moved
in 1961 to a new building for 120 children, opposite the old one.